I look fairly happy in this photograph, but if you know me very well or even look a bit closer, you might perceive otherwise. I may have appeared fine on the outside the day this photograph was taken; but inside was total chaos.
You see, when I have babies (keep in mind that has only been twice) I inevitably suffer from Postpartum Depression. This depression is severe, horrific, and lasts for a long, long time. All I have to do is spend a few moments thinking back on those dark times and I begin to shudder.
With that in mind though, and as cliché as it may sound, I would firmly report that I would not opt out of those experiences if I was given the choice to go back and do so. Those experiences changed me, and in most ways, for the better.
When my sweet sister-in-law Karen had her third child (the most darling baby girl you’ll ever see) she was also introduced to the hell that is Postpartum Depression. Of course it was a terrible time for her, but she was strong and she survived. She wrote a beautiful post about her experiences today. When I read her words, I was quite emotional. She said it all so perfectly, so beautifully. Karen is one of my heroes.
I wanted to post a link to her post today for anyone who might be interested in reading it. Part of Karen’s reason for sharing her experiences is so that other’s who have, are, or may experience similar things will know they are not alone and might possibly find some hope in her words. I’m a big advocate for that. I firmly believe that burying our challenging experiences in the sand helps no one.
In that spirit click HERE to read her story. I promise it will be worth you time, even if you haven’t had Postpartum yourself. Maybe someday you will know someone who does and you will understand a bit better. You never know.
p.s. Love you Karen. Thanks for finding just the right words and for being willing to share them.
4 comments:
Thanks for sharing Jill. That was a beautiful post about a horrifc experience.
Thanks for sharing the link. It still makes me cry to think of you hurting like you did.
Now that you mention it, I can see the pain behind your beautiful smile in that picture with your arms full of babies. So happy you survived and are able to help others because of what you've gone through (including me).
Jill, I have a picture very similar to this. It's difficult to look at b/c I know what was happening inside of me at the time. Love you so much. Thanks for being an example of strength and love. I would not have posted what I did if it weren't for your encouragement and example.
Post a Comment