This experience was an open and shut case of pining after exotic adventures in distant lands, not fully realizing what awe-inspiring beauty was to be found in my very own backyard.
We met people from Lithuania, Argentina, Japan, India, China, Germany, and almost every other state in U.S. of A. On a particularly narrow trail, we even squeezed by a young couple who were chatting away in Danish, a language Mike recognized instantly.
People travel from all corners of the world to experience the magnificence that is Southern Utah. I personally have lived in this state for almost 38 years, a mere four hours away, and it was my first time ever visiting.
I had no idea.
(Laura, I finally understand your obsession with the desert)
I’m in love.
My goodly and handsome husband (bless him) decided to plan a special trip for our once-in-a-life-time anniversary. We celebrated 16 years on the 16th. Because that particular anniversary will never occur again, we had to make this one unique.
So we went South…
Our first stop: Zion National Park.
Mike remembers eating Twinkies in Zion as a kid; but like I said, I’d never been. I can’t imagine for the life of me why not? What a breathtaking, amazingly unique place. My senses were alive and happy there, as was my camera…
Here is end of the world famous Narrows. Mike is already planning our next trip, which, I am told, will include some water wading.
The weather cooperated perfectly. I especially loved Saturday morning, which was overcast so the sun was tamed a bit. The crowds weren’t too thick. I loved that there was water running, spraying and dripping from mountain walls, cracks and crevasses; spring run off creating waterfalls and showers of coolness.
Our accommodations at the Desert Pearl were clean and cozy. The food…delicious.
And the best part…my company. Anything with Mike is better.
The only down side…we didn’t get to stay long enough. There was so much more I wanted to see and do. I was sad as we drove away, but consoled by the fact that Zion National Park is still only 4 hours away…practically in my own backyard.
I’m already scheming of ways to get back there, sooner than later I hope. The next time I want the kids in tow. I know they would love the place. Especially if we bring some Twinkies.
Coming soon: Our visit to Bryce Canyon Nation Park
8 comments:
Glad you made it to one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Hope you get to go back soon.
You guys (Jill) must drive fast. It takes us at least 6 hours to get there from your house. But then we don't go faster that 55 (45 up hills) and we stop occasionally. Glad you were able to visit one of our favorite places. Angels Landing next? It is every bit as fun as Uncle Tom's trail. I promise. Honest.
Dave, you must drive very slowly. We made it in just over 3 hours. Also, Uncle Tom's trail will NOT ever be on my list of hikes to do in Zion's. SCARY!
Looks like a wonderful trip! I can't wait to go there in a couple of weeks!
I'm so Utah sick I could spit. Could everyone just stop posting these gorgeous pictures?!?
Glad you had a great time- perfect time of year to visit.
Jill, you are now part of a very special club - those that recognize the beauty of the desert. It is lost on many - I always knew you were a kindred spirit!
And... when you go back... I will come. Or I will throw a really big fit.
Lovely photos. Please tell Mike we will be living 3 hours away from Yosemite. Half Dome Hike, Mike?
I had never been to Zions or Bryce until 2010 and I couldn't believe it. I felt the same way as you--why had I lived so long without seeing it?
Post a Comment