Remember that hockey game during this last Olympics when Canada beat the U.S.A? As unpatriotic as it sounds, I was secretly rooting for Canada to win. We’ve had Canadian friends for so long, I knew that winning would mean way more to them in the long run. They really like their hockey up north. Actually it’s more like love and worship!
To celebrate Independence Day we enjoyed a lovely visit from our Canadian friends, the Johnstons, and yes, they confirmed that when the Canadians won that hockey game, they celebrated for days and days. They said the excitement in the air was palpable.
We’ve felt that kind of excitement this week as we awaited the visit of our good friends, the Johnstons, who once lived around the corner from us. They moved back to Canada about two years ago and we have SO missed having them here. We love when they come to visit. It’s just like old times.
They came to celebrate the 4th of July with us. Although the Johnstons are from Canada, Trevor and the kids are American citizens. Trevor, because his mother is American, and the two boys because they were born here. They did the paper work for their daughter Zoe, so she’s a citizen as well. The Johnstons are big fans of both countries.
The kids have been thrilled to hang out with each other again….
I love how kids so easily pick up where they left off, just like they have never been apart. In fact, it feels like that with Trevor and Amy too. We are so comfortable with them. We love the Johnstons because they are generous, good people who know how to have a good time. They are the kind of friends whom you can just kick off your shoes and relax around, totally being yourselves and they love you any way. You don’t have to get fancy with them or spend all your energy entertaining them, they’re just content to hang out and be real.
Yesterday was such a treat. Trevor watched the kids all day while Amy and I went shopping and out to lunch. I love to shop with Amy. She’s a pro, and we like all the same things, especially shoes. In fact, I can trace my true love for shoes back to Amy who was the one who originally taught me just how fantastic a sassy pair of shoes can be. (Thanks Trevor for watching the kids, you’re the bomb)
The Johnstons are leaving us today, and we are all going to go through withdrawal again. They said they may come down in the Fall to catch a BYU game. We’ll try to hold out until then. In the mean time, we’ll snack on our Canadian snacks and wear our sassy shoes and remember Canada. It’s really cold there.
4 comments:
I love seeing old friends again. A family in our ward came back and visited after a few years and It was fun to see them again. I love it. Cant wait to see you guys again in a few days!!
ha ha, excellent!! guess you had some Smarties and Aero or Mr. Big chocolate bars? Canadians really are crazy about their hockey, cause they never win anything else. I am allowed to say that cause I am a Canadian.
Good friends are a rare commodity. This kind of reminds me a that saying,"Home - where you treat your family like friends, and your friends like family". It's nice to be in the safe place with friends where you can totally be yourself. The Johnstons are a great family and sadly missed. So glad you had that day with Amy.
i love reading your blog, very exciting!!!! but anyway, do you think you or mike could make us a copy of miniscule???????
Post a Comment