Sunday, November 8, 2009

They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To.....



..... and when it comes to movies, for the most part, they just don't. I'll admit that somethings about movies today are much better. The special effects are out of this world, the story telling a bit more subtle, and the cinematography amazing, to name just a few, but there is a certain charm that is lacking in today's films, a charm and nostalgia that you just don't experience when watching modern movies. Not to mention the fact that you never know what kind of junk is going to flash across the screen when watching a contemporary film. When you sit around the TV with the whole family and watch a classic, you can rest comfortably knowing that it's will be good, clean entertainment, nothing to worry about as far as the kids are concerned, or the adults for that matter.

My parents (mostly mom in this case) raised me right. I grew up on a steady diet of old classic movies. Lots of them. My cousins and I watched all the good stuff back in the day....Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Jimmy Stewart, Gregory Peck, Greer Garson, Gary Cooper, Irene Dunn....oh so many. One of my fondest memories of childhood was spending an entire day watching Cary Grant movies on AMC with my mom while she sewed. It was that day that I first saw An Affair to Remember. I'll never forget.

While attending college at Utah State, my cousin Melissa and I would set aside an evening now again to watch some classic movies. We would head down to Somer's video store in Logan because they had the best selection of oldies, rent a whole stack and watch all night. Those were good times.

I've been working on some scrapbooks for my kids for Christmas. Whenever I'm down in the craft room working away I like to stick in a movie to watch. Lately I've been revisiting some of my old classic favorites. Love them.

I don't know how many of you are classic movie fans, but I wanted to share a few of my favorites here on the blog. If they look interesting, maybe you could Netflix them or something and enjoy some good, clean vintage movie nights with the kids, husband, or just yourself.



Winning the Oscar for best picture in 1942 and staring one of my favorite on-screen duos, Walter Pidgeon and Greer Garson, Mrs. Miniver is the story of a middle class British family living in a small town and experiencing the first months of World War II. Amongst the chaos of war, the Miniver's son falls for rich Lady Beldon's granddaughter as the Miniver Rose, named after the charming Mrs. Miniver is entered into a contest against Lady Beldon's rose, a rose that has never lost at the annual village flower competition. Greer Garson and Teresa Wright won the Oscars for Best Actress and Supporting Actress for their roles in this film. There are a few scenes in this movie that are absolutely unforgettable.



Another great one, I Remember Mama stars Irene Dunn as Martha Hanson, an immigrant, Norwegian mother raising her family in San Francisco circa 1910. The story is told through the eyes of her daughter Katrin who dreams of being a famous writer and finds that the best stories to write about are those she remembers about her wise and practical mother. A beautifully told story. Very poignant.



Cary Grant is always perfect as the leading romantic man and something to behold in a good Hitchcock movie, but I like him best in comedies. It's hard for me to pick just one of my favorite Cary Grant comedies, but Monkey Business is up there. Here he stars with another comedic favorite, Ginger Rodgers, in this hilarious romp of a film. Grant plays a absent minded scientist who "discovers" a potion that makes people feel years younger. Mayhem ensues when he, his wife (Rodgers), and his colleges are test subjects for the new youth potion. My favorite scene is later in the movie when Cary Grant plays cowboys and indians with the neighborhood children. Marilyn Monroe even makes an appearance in this one.



Everyone loves a good Hitchcock movie, right? Here's one staring Teresa Wright and Joseph Cotton, who makes a super creepy bad guy. This one's a nail bitter. Uncle Charlie (Cotton) comes to visit his sister and his niece Charlie (Wright), who happens to be named after him. Soon Charlie discovers that her favorite uncle may not be the man that he seems to be. I won't give away anymore because it is a mystery after all.

And one more......



This a super classic and one of my all-time favorites. Friendly Persuasion is the story of a family of Quakers living in Indiana in 1862. Their religious sect is strongly opposed to violence and war, but when war comes to their front door they must make a choice, should they fight despite their peaceful beliefs? Gary Cooper and Dorthy McGuire play one of the best couples in all of film history, this one can't be missed!

I hope, if you haven't seen some of these, you'll go out get them. Treat yourself. In fact, I've decided I've got to start having a classic movie night. I've got to do what my mom did and start introducing these classics to my kids. You know what, I'm going to. Movie night it is. Come on over if you're interested. Maybe I'll periodically post some more classic movie blogs in the future because I've got tons of favorites. Viva the classics!

12 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for the recommendations! We LOVE old movies. People are always asking us, "Have you seen ____?" and if it was made in the last 10 years, than the answer is usually no, but if it was made between 1935 and 1960, then we've definitely seen our share.

By the way, have you seen Random Harvest with Greer Garson? I actually liked it better than Mrs. Miniver.

Karen said...

Oh excellent. Thanks for the recommendations! Zack and I joke that we get to go to the movies so rarely that we are totally predisposed to like everything we see...even if it's horrible. We're just like, "Woo hoo! We're at the movies eating popcorn! Without kids!...Oh man...that guy just ate someone...ewwww...but we're at the movies!"

We need to rent these instead so we are actually watching some quality material.

Amy said...

Oh, and I'm excited to see Friendly Persuasion since Mike and I both love Gary Cooper. However, my all-time favorite movie couple is Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson in The Glenn Miller Story, so I'll be interested to see if Gary Cooper can knock them out of first place.

Stan said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I love a good old movie. You're right they are so much cleaner than what's out there now. I definitely need to take some down time enjoying the classics. Que sera sera! Do you remember Doris Day in this classic Alfred Hitchcock movie?

The Garners said...

You got me with the "my Fair Lady" poster. That's my fave!!

I love old movies too, only I was usually exposed to Doris Day ones, or Annette Funny-Jello. I just know that EVERY time we sent my Mom to get a movie, she'd come home and say, "they didn't have that one, but I found this old movie that I know you'll like." I'd be mad and decide that "Beach Blanket Bingo" was going to suck. Then about 2 seconds into it...I was in love.

It's funny how Mom's know what's good. And I KNOW that my exposure to all things musical and clean entertainment made me a much better rounded person.

Maybe I'll get a few of these that I haven't seen.

Great Post!!

Jill said...

Amy, I have seen Random Harvest and I love it. One of my favorites. Anything with Greer Garson I usually really like. I don't know if I like it better than Mrs. Miniver though.

I love June Allyson and Jimmy in the Glenn Miller story too, but Gary Cooper and Dorthy McGuire are amazing together.

kjha said...

Maybe I can watch Wait Until Dark if I'm scrapbooking...then i won't be so scared!

Cami said...

Peter's Dad recently came into town and suggested we watch Camille (with Greta Garbo- the one they go see in Annie). It was fantastic!

I think people and movies were smarter back in the olden days. Dang that MTV.

David said...

I quite enjoy old movies and got some great ideas from your list. I still can't watch any movies (old or new) and just sit and watch. I have to be cleaning or sewing or something! I think it's because I never had time to just sit. Now it makes me nervous. I do enjoy them, though!

Andrew said...

what a great post...Andrew's family are all about oldies. Of course, not growing up from this country, I have no idea what I am missing unless someone recommend some good movies to me. So thanks.

Laura said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I've been sitting on my couch a lot after work watching high quality entertainment like "I didn't know I was pregnant." I'm going to take your recommendations and hope they save my brain from going mushy.

Sonja said...

Jill, these are great suggestions, I'll give them a try. I have a memory involving you and old movies. I walked into Grandma's bedroom once when we were pretty young and you were watching My Fair Lady. Grandma had just gotten a new VCR (her first) and she was recording the movie off the TV. Anyway, when we came into the room, you said, "Hey, everybody be quiet, it's recording and we don't want to hear your voices!"