

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe....
Five years ago, after finding out I was having twin boys, my mom had the idea that some Halloween it would be perfect to dress the twins up as Tweedledee and Tweedledum from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. I've wanted to do that ever since, and this Halloween we made it happen. Mary Kate and I joined the fun too. She dressed like Alice and I, the Queen of Hearts (or Queen of Love, as Jonathan mistakenly called her). I thought we all looked perfectly story-book, especially the boys!

Mary Kate makes a better red-head, but Alice must be blond

We hit a Halloween home run with these costumes. They were perfect!

Check out Jonathan's face in this picture, priceless

The Queen of Love does not say, "OFF WITH HER HEAD!"
The Queen and her royal subjectsWhere was Mike for all of this Wonderland excitement?

I talked him into wearing a Mad Hatter hat while handing out treats to the kids, but this was all I could get him to do. I guess he didn't think dressing in an over sized, bright blue velveteen suit and bow tie was very manly. I figure, if you're going to wear the dorky hat you might as well go whole hog!
The kids had a fantastic time trick-or-treating and didn't even notice the light drizzle of rain as they sprinted from house to house. At one point Jeffrey's shoe came untied. I had to stop him mid-run to tie it. I had hardly bent down to begin when he said,
"Mommy, are you done tying my shoe?"
"No, not yet, hold still!"
"Are you done? Now?.....now?.....now?......now?......now?....now?.....now?.....now?"
"O.K. now!"
and he took off like lightening as if waiting one more second would result in the candy being all gone.
By the end of the night he was tuckered out. We had two doors left to knock on when he said, "Mom, we're having a long day today huh?"
Halloween usually ends up being tons of work for me and only fun for the kids, but I really enjoyed myself this year. I was delighted with the boys costumes. They looked more perfect than I ever imagined they would. I also scored major points with Mary Kate by being one of the "cool" moms who dressed up to come to the costume parade and class party.
It was a fun-filled pagan holiday, but after coming home from trick-or-treating, I collapsed on the couch and vegged in front of the television for the rest of the night. I was completely worn out!

I hope everyone had a great Halloween!
17 comments:
Wow--how clever and cute are you guys! Wherever did you come up with those costumes? Your mom had a great idea!
I think you officially win the best costumed-family award. That is so awesome. Where did you get them?!? You rock, Queen of Love.
those are SUCH cute costumes!
Love everything! You and Mary Kate look beautimous and the boys look fantastic! Did you make those costumes?! Very cool Jill. You are totally one of those "rockin" mommy's.
Wow! You really went all out! Did you make the boys' costumes?
jill - these costumes are fantastic - bravo!
Way cute! You're such an awesome mom, Jill! Did you make the costumes yourself? Either way they turned out fantastic! Thanks for taking pictures of your awesome Halloween!
ADORABLE! I love the whole theme! I applaud you for your obvious effort and the kids for cooperating with their cute smiles! You have set a high standard for next year...can't wait!
Jill you guys all looked like a million bucks. In the Searcy household we are kind of Halloween losers - the only one who dressed up was Joyce who was suppose to for her Halloween costume. At first John wanted to put a McCain/Palin sticker on her and say to all "It was the scariest thing we could think of." I persuaded him to do something a little less politically volatile. So out of outfits she already owned we made her into a jazzercise instructor. She has on tights and her rainbow baby legs bunched up down around her calves and ankles. A turquoise onesies over the tights acted as a leotard and then John took her purple tie-dyed shirt and and pulled it down over her shoulders 80's style. A pink headband and a sweat band on her wrist completed the outfit. The best part was when she got to the party she started yelling in her excited Joyce voice and it sounded like she was giving all the other babies some jazzercise encouragement. Maybe next year we'll try to do something family oriented.
Julie
Absolutely darling and very creative. I'm doing good if the kids' costumes don't clash with each other. And I rarely dress up. And what is it about husbands being the biggest party poopers of all - I couldn't get Pete to dress up if I tried. You definitely hit a home run this year!
Awesome costumes, Jill! You are so lucky to have kids that will go along with the plan!
Wow, you guys rocked those costumes. They really are the best ever, and of course you know that from now on I will refer to you as the Queen of Love.
Jill-I love it. Im glad I have a dog that will dress up like whatever I want her to be. How do you get your kids to do that?
You guys were absolutely darling. Everything you do is with such class. I think I'm ready to do my Christmas shopping on-line this year. Maybe you can give me some pointers and favorite contacts.
I am so glad this post came through! I kept trying to look at it and I would only get your smorgasbord entry!
I love all the costumes! They turned out so awesome! Did you make them? I think your "shoe story" is classic! So funny- typical boy!
Jill
You all look so cute, I love the idea of Alice and wonderland, that is awosme queen of love/hearts. I love how Kate is teachng school and the boys join her that is do cute. I miss you all so much and i can;t wait to see you see at Thanksgiving and next summer, that is so awosme. I agree the costumes are awsoem .
love always
Mels
Post a Comment