
Remember that game we would play in elementary school that went something like this... "What's grosser than gross?....... Sliding down a razor blade into a vat of lemon juice!" this followed by peals of laughter and fake gagging sounds? Remember that? Anyway, I think I have discovered the ultimate "grosser than gross"...... taking four kids to eat at a smorgasbord!
My mom and I wanted to do something fun with the kids. Out of desperation (everything else we thought of didn't pan out) we decided to take them to eat at Sweet Tomatoes. Oh boy, the kids saw the gazillions of eating choices and thought they'd died and gone to food heaven. My mom and I spent lunch with our faces twisted into expressions of disgust.
The food at your typical smorgasbord is kid tested, but not necessarily mother approved. They serve mac n'cheese from a box, chocolate mousse squeezed from a giant pouch, and soup from a can, heated up in huge vats for your slurpping enjoyment.
When given free reign and a tray, Jeffrey chose chocolate. He loaded up his tray with chocolate muffins, chocolate mousse, and chocolate milk. To cut the sweetness, he finished off his meal with a bowl of vanilla ice cream, not a vegetable or piece of fruit in sight. Typical. At least he got a little protein in the form of a bowl of shredded cheese.

I love how his shirt is even chocolate colored
Jonathan fared a little better. He actually had some salad and grapes, but he filled the empty spaces in his stomach with several bowls of soft serve. It's so fun to watch that ice cream swirling out of the dispenser. Then you have all those sprinkles and toppings to choose from.

See! Gross!

Have you ever noticed how everything you eat at a smorgasbord taste the same? The salad taste like the bread sticks and the noodles taste like the jello, even the ice cream tastes like the soup. I managed to get down most of my salad, but when I took a sip of my water and it tasted like corn muffins, I had to stop.
So...... after a fun filled lunch hour, which included many tears after Mary Kate dropped her loaded tray while filling up her cup with Hawaiian Punch, I made a vow to myself that I intend to keep for life.... never eat at a smorgasbord again, especially not with several children in tow. Jeffrey might miss having a lunch made up entirely of chocolate, but that's o.k., maybe he'll learn to like vegetables? I somehow doubt it.
13 comments:
You are a brave, brave woman! The whole buffet idea makes tired just thinking about it. Although, now you have a fun memory to relive! :)
Hilarious! We used to call Chuck a rama Upchuckyourgramma. Not nice, I know. Our gross jokes started out Mommy, mommy...like mommy, mommy, what happened to all your scabs? Shut up and eat your cornflakes. Gross!!!
Grosser than gross is right. I avoid those places if at all possible. Sometimes when we and the boys are deciding where to go eat out they all say Golden Corral or Chuck-A-Rama. I say no way. Kids love places like that. I'm sure now you have created such a great memory that will be a family favorite:) I would have loved to have been there as you watched Jeffrey fill up his plate. Pretty funny:)
That's so funny! Gotta love kids and their taste buds at that age! Maybe one day the veggies will be their favorite! Thanks for sharing! And yes you're right about the twin thing being double mischievious! You're super mom!
I can't handle those places when all I take is myself! And I have to say that I wasn't a bit surprised at Jeffrey's choices!
Grosser than gross!?! Heck no; this sounds funner than fun. There's nothing better than squirting your own ice cream on a piece of re-warmed fried chicken.
I just like your repeated use of the word "smorgasboard." I don't think I've heard anyone use that word since Templeton the rat on Charlotte's Web. "The fair is a smorgasboard, orgasboard, orgasboard..."
Jeff - you're hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.
jill - this is not gross, this is delightful.
and i must agree - i love the use of the word 'smorgasboard' - bravo for keeping templeton's legacy alive...
Amen. I will NEVER take my children to such a place again. Golden Corral was our experience similar to yours. It was a few years ago, but I can recall it in horrid detail. Also, loved your post about "why I blog". My husband is still struggling to understand my obsession! I'm soooo glad you and I can connect via our bloggy habits!
Notice I used my dads acount, I know I have one , it was just easier,
this is Mels
Jill that is awsoem you and Aunt Jancie took the kids to a buffet, remember we use to do it when we were little at Old country Buffet? That was so much fun! They are so cute, I miss all of you and love you all. love always
Mels
Jill, this is a family tradition. Grandpa Johnson would be proud.
Post a Comment