Saturday, October 25, 2008

I Love Blogs!



Why didn't you people, who have been blogging for so long, tell me how great it is? Oh wait, you tried to, I just didn't listen.

Shamelessly, I admit that I love reading blogs and blogging!

The other day, I'm enjoying Cami's blog and up pops a picture of this beautiful, mouthwatering raspberry pie she's made. It looked delicious and I wanted some for myself. Oh, but wait, Cami lives in Boston! Fortunately, she posted the recipe, and the next day I had myself a raspberry pie just like hers. Thanks Cami!

Other than getting the recipe for a great dessert, here are other reasons I love reading blogs:

I want to know what it's like to live life in Paris France. I read Emilie's blog.

I want to find out what a person can learn from studying in India. I read Marc's blog.

I'm dying to see a new nephew that was just born in Denver. I read Karen's blog.

I desire to keep up with an old and dear friend who lives in Mississippi. I read Kim's blog.

I'm looking to see a totally different perspective on life in interesting and bazaar detail. I read Meredith's blog.

I want to keep up with friends and family who live far away or even a very busy neighbor who's just around the corner. I read blogs.

Just the other day, an old bosom friend from way back when, found me on Facebook. I stumbled onto her blog. We are now reading each other's blogs faithfully and it's so great to catch up! If it wasn't for all this modern technology I probably would never have connected with her again.

I know... they say everyone has a blog these days, and it's so presumptuous us to assume people care about what we have to say. I don't know if people care about what I have to say or not, but I care immensely about what others have to say, it's educational, human and lovely. One of the things I'm glad I posted was my "Scream Free Parenting" post because I loved all the replies. Your ideas and thoughts helped me think more deeply about my own. I learned much more than I would have otherwise.

Another criticism I've heard recently is that blogs encourage people to put on a facade, presenting only what they want other's to see and not what their lives are really like. I think the reason people say this is because blogs do help us focus on the positive. We end up documenting and sharing what is best in our lives, the little things that make life interesting, exciting and worth living.

Thanks everyone for posting. I love reading about your thoughts and happenings. Some say that technology is keeping us disconnected by limiting person to person contact. I agree that this is true to some extent, but I like to think of technology in a better light. If it weren't for blogging, would I know much about Emilie's life so far away in Paris? Phone calls to and from Paris are expensive and she's in a totally different time zone. Person to person contact is not so possible with Emilie, but I want badly to stay connected with her, enter: her blog...my blog, problem solved!

Another perk: Blogging is somewhat like keeping a journal. We can share some of our life with others, and in the process record it for ourselves. I plan to send my blog to this company periodically and have it made into a book. Maybe someday my family will be glad they have it.

O.K. enough about my advocacy for and ideas about blogging. Just a thanks for all the fun and encouraging comments you all make on my blog. I apologize for always commenting on yours. I find that I just have to respond to all your stories! I love checking the computer everyday for news from people I love. Keep it up folks!

11 comments:

Angela said...

You are so right when it comes to blogging! I love it! I love it so much that I try to encourage some of my in-laws to start a blog, some have, but most just think I'm crazy and think that they don't have time for that sort of thing. I think it's great because some people consistently put things on a couple times a week, and some just every other week or once a month. Either way, we're all staying connected somehow. And yes, I agree with you about the focusing on the positive. It really does help us. I'm glad I finally figured out that you have a blog because I felt like I hadn't seen you in forever! So at least I'm sort of connected to you through blogging! Thanks so much Jill for all your sweet comments and insights! Love ya!

kjha said...

And we're all VERY HAPPY you joined the blogging world. Why do I read your blog? To laugh, to learn, and to connect to an old friend. Well, not that old :)

The Greathouse Family said...

Oh, so much to say...

Jill, I loved all of your blogging insights! I too fought people who urged me to blog. Now I love it! I agree with all that you said. It's amazing to be able to connect, or reconnect, with people through blogs. I'd pretty much given up on being able to find you again, and now look! Here we are able to share our lives with each other! The only thing missing is a huge hug. But, now I can tell you when I'm in Utah and we can have that, too! I love you, my friend!

...And that raspberry pie looks wonderful!

Julie Thompson said...

Jill I love blogs too I'm new only a week but am totally obsessed. I found Jamie durham and found you on her blog! I love it! You cute as always and going through your blog made me tear up with your grandpa and dad blogs-they are both great people,I agree! Hope all is well! Julie Thompson

Laura said...

Jill, not only do I love hearing about what y'all are up to because I miss all your guts, but there are also days when I'm at work waiting for some virus to infect some cell (or something similarly fascinating)and I am in severe need of mental stimulation so that I don't die of ennui. I check your blog every single day, sometimes twice. Please don't stop. Also, I love it when you comment on my blog. Turns out most of us like attention.

Cami said...

Wow, your pie looks divine. Now I might have to make me another one, except that raspberries are $4 a berry out here and the pick-your-own-hippy farm is closed. Grrrr.

Amen to all the things you said about blogging. You have unique insights. I think you should run for president.

Stan said...

I started blogging thanks to my dear sweet daughter Angela. I thought it was more of a younger generation thing. Apparently it is because most of the people my age aren't up with the time. I have never really been into emailing, so it surprised me that I would love it so much. I agree with everything you said about it being a journal, etc. You know how I have always wanted to scrapbook but never quite take the time. I'm not very good at keeping a journal but this has inspired me to want to keep a better history. I keep trying to convince all of my far away friends to do a blog so we can keep in touch better. I am a lousey letter writer so this would be ideal. Well I plan on sending my blog post to that company to get it printed also. Even though you are my around the corner neighbor, we talk more now that we are blogging. Thanks for your great insights. Sure think your great!
The pie looks fabulous but I better lay off of things like that for awhile because I kind of got sick. I did try creme breulei (sp) the other day with Shawna. It was mighty tasty. I seriously need to get back to better eating patterns. I stayed home from church today to rest and take high doses of garlic. I don't think everyone would appreciate the smell of my breath. Talk to you soon

Karen said...

I will vote for you too, if you run for president Jill. Of course I love blogging and am proud that I was one of the many that kept hounding you to start a blog because I love yours and look forward to your great posts.

Sonja said...

Jill, I love to read about your life, too. I also think blogs are amazing.

Emilie said...

jill! i love you.

thanks for wanting to keep up with my life here. you are the bomb.com and it is true that blogs help us focus on the good parts about our life and also illuminate when we are focusing too much on the bad. as you know, i had a hard time at first in paris and people reflected that to me after reading what i wrote. i realized it when i talked to people and they sort of drastically asked me if i was ok. and of course i was. but indeed, blogging is a sort of public journal - (kind of like group therapy in the roads of paris, with pictures) and i always step back and think, do i have happy things to write about? and if not, then i know it is a problem with me.

anyway, i love what you celebrate and how you celebrate it. your kids, your life. i'm glad to follow. love, em

Henderson Family said...

I completely agree with all of your reasons for blogging. I myself was a little slow to get on the bandwagon. Maybe it's just that I'm not very computer literate, or maybe it's that I'm weary of things that have to do with the internet, but whatever the reasons was, I forgot once I started blogging. It has really been a positive experience for me and I too have been able to learn a lot from others lives. Plus it's a journal/scrapbook and it lets out of town (or in town) relatives know what's going on in our lives.
So thanks for the thought.