Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tummy Talk



"Mommy, guess what my tummy's talking about?"

"I don't know Jeffrey, what's it talking about."

"It's talking about vanilla yogurt and crackers!"

Jeffrey's tummy has been talking a lot these days. It is constantly, and I mean constantly, telling him what it would like to eat. Jeffrey doesn't bother with saying he's hungry anymore, he just says, "Guess what my tummy's talking about?" and then we are required to respond and bend to his tummy's demands.

Jeffrey's tummy language skills extend to others as well. This morning he told me that Jonathan's tummy was talking about toast and mine was talking about nothing because it was too full. He also says Winnie's tummy is always talking about dog food. Even the dog's tummy talks now!

Unfortunately, Jeffrey's tummy does not usually talk to him about nutritious food. Mostly it jabbers on and on about candy and cookies. I wish he and his tummy would have a conversation about enjoying junk foods only in moderation, but apparently he and his gut do not concern themselves with health issues. Sometimes there is tummy dialogue about bananas, apples, and whole wheat toast, but vegetables and meat are taboo subjects.



I read the other day that your small intestine is your second brain, that 95% of your body's serotonin, which is the feel-good hormone, is in your gut. So maybe our stomachs do talk to us in a way. Come to think of it, mine is talking to me right now. It's been nagging me about the same thing ever since the weather turned cold. It's like a broken record, harping incessantly about crisp almond biscotti dipped in a steaming cup of rich hot chocolate. I intend to listen, because tummies don't like being ignored. Just ask Jeffrey.

8 comments:

The Greathouse Family said...

My tummy never shuts up either! If you figure out this mystery, let me know. What a fun boy you have!

kjha said...

Hilarious! Mine talks about brownies a lot :)

Karen said...

My tummy is talking about chocolate & white chocolate peppermint bark. I have been listening all day and we are getting along swimmingly. Jeffrey is onto something...

Janice said...

I LOVE YOUR KIDS!!!

Laura said...

My abdomen isn't as nice - it tells me to gather myself and do some crunches already. I have learned to tune it out.

Jill H said...

Funny boy. Don't ya just love the things kids say? I too wish my tummy would stop talking to me, mine like Jeffrey's seems to only ask for junk food.

Stan said...

My tummy is thanking me for finally eating right so I don't feel so bloated

Cami said...

Oh those silly tummies. When my kids are eating dinner, they will periodically extend their tummies, poke it to check if it's done, and pronounce themselves full except for that little bit of space saved for an entire chocolate pie.

Mine is talking about breadsticks from the Pizza Factoria. Do they still even have those?