Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Teacher is Born

Very often I walk into Mary Kate's room and this is the scene before me...





...her bedroom is transformed into a thriving girl's school. She has four regular students, one of which is African American (it's important to have some diversity). As you can see, the atmosphere at her school is very relaxed. The students are welcome to come to class in their nightgowns, or maybe it's Pajama Day, who knows?






Her students are taught all the subjects, spelling among them. Above is the spelling section of the "back bord." (I'm afraid Mary Kate inherited her spelling abilities from her mother).



This is a boarding school. After a long day of studying the girls can climb right into bed and go to sleep, they're already in their PJ's.


Sometimes Jonathan and Jeffrey are invited to attend Mary Kate's school. A few days ago she delivered this schedule to me so I would know when to send the boys to class:


This is obviously a church sponsored preschool since Sunday School is offered at anytime.

I faithfully send the boys to school during the scheduled times and enjoy the peace and quiet while they're attending class, but unfortunately this is short lived as Jeffrey gets kicked out of class almost everyday for disruptive behavior. Jonathan manages to remain in class though and is learning all kinds of useful things, he even has a folder stuffed with worksheets and tests. I'm sure Jeffrey has been issued a folder too, but I bet it's not quite so full. How can you complete worksheets and take tests if you're never in class for more than 3 minutes? I'm worried about that kid's educational future!

As a daughter of educators, and a trained educator myself, I love that Mary Kate plays "school" in her free time. I asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up and she said she wanted to be a teacher or an artist. Maybe she could be an art teacher? That would be great, after all, being a teacher is a very noble profession.

14 comments:

rachel said...

What a great post! I love that she plays school. I remember playing that when I was a kid too.
-your cousin Rachel

Cami said...

I'm shipping Bryn and Calvin to join MK's boarding school immediately. Have fun with them!

Seriously, that's just awesome. I'm going to have Bryn look at this post and hope it plants seeds of education in her little mind. And tell Jeffrey I got kicked out of class in first grade a few times, but I still did okay eventually.

The Greathouse Family said...

What an awesome girl! I love to see kids with creative minds. That speaks a lot for her wonderful personality. She reminds me of you. What a great mom you are to play along. Your boys sound so fun. I really hope to meet your family next year!

kjha said...

Must be a girl after my own heart! I think Jane may get a back bord for Christmas! Very fun post. And when are you coming this way again???

David said...

Mary Kate, you are a child after my own heart. I loved dolls. They were so obedient and fun to dress and love. When I grew tired of them, they waited until I came back. Jeffrey, it's a good thing you are cute and charming. Great post!

Angela said...

You are training her good or something Jill! That's so cute! and I love the pictures that you took which pretty much told the story. She's so creative! And did she type that whole thing up herself? Wow I'm not sure I could have done that or would have done that at her age! But of course she's growing up way too fast! Such a sweet girl!

Karen said...

Love that Mary Kate! Seriously, sometimes when I pray about my kiddos, I pray that they are as good as MK. Eli is already failing miserably.

Emilie said...

this is fabulous - really wonderful jill. mary kate is the bomb. love you and her.

Janice said...

Teaching is in her genes. I remember making my little brothers and neighborhood kids attend school in the back corner of our basement family room. I loved being the teacher, and when I went to college I didn't take one unnecessary class trying to decide what I wanted to be. It was Elementary Education for me. It wasn't until I got much older that I thought I should have studied law and political science.

Julie said...

Oh my word Jill. I loved this post. Especially the part about the schedule and Jeffrey's empty or nonexistent folder. Shoot. I wish I could go to that school. Janice it's a good thing your dad didn't see you consider studying law instead of politics.

Alisa said...

Jill, I need to call you but it might be too late and I dont have your email address. Something came up and I need to get back to you Tuesday. There are high hopes here.

Amy said...

Mike and I were reading this post together and laughing the whole time!

Kim said...

Jill, I love that you captured all of MK's playtime on your blog. You make me laugh with your description of the boys' involvement. She is too precious, I know you are loving watching her grow...

Stan said...

Can I send Joshua & Jacob too? I'm sure Mary Kate could teach them a thing or two. All female influences have fled my home. I miss those days of dolls & school.