Sunday, August 23, 2009

Inspired



Mike and I went to the dedication of the Oquirrh Mountain temple this morning. Oquirrh is pronounced 'oaker' and is an American Indian word for 'wooded mountain.' In my opinion, this is one of the most beautiful temples ever built. As we were waiting for the meeting to start they showed some pictures of different views of the temple's interior. Gorgeous! So simple, earthy and beautiful. You can tell the designers were inspired by nature. I love the color choices, the textures, the peaceful feel of it all. I'm planning to go see it for myself soon.

The dedication meeting was a spiritual feast. The addresses were particularly inspiring to me. Mike and I had attended a session at the Timpanogos temple yesterday, and it was a perfect lead up to this morning's services. I love that temples provide a place of peace, of stillness, of escape, of contrast from the craziness of daily life. I love to go and just get away from it all for awhile.

I don't usually blog about personal, spiritual things, and probably won't make a habit of it, but today I feel so much gratitude. One of the speakers told a story of a Hispanic family that had enjoyed a temple experience. A friend asked the mother of this family how she had felt during the event. She simply said, pointing to her heart, "Muy caliente, aqui." Very warm, here. That's exactly the way I felt today, thinking of all the ways God has blessed me and mine.

President Monson gave the dedicatory prayer. So powerful. He has a way with words and a spirit about him that I love. His prayer was the perfect end to a excellent meeting.

Just had to post a little something about today. I feel happy. Grateful. Inspired. That's all.

13 comments:

Amy said...

I also think the Oquirrh Mountain temple is one of the most beautiful...inside and out. We went to the same dedicatory session, and I agree with everything you said.

Laura said...

It's beautiful - where is it?

Janice said...

I thought it was a great meeting also, but the best talk of all was by Elder Johnson. I don't think that I am prejudiced, I'm just honest. I was so proud of him and couldn't help thinking how pleased Mom must be. I'm grateful for the blessings and promises associated with temple.

Cami said...

Sounds like the perfect way to spend a Sunday morning. Now I can't wait to see the inside (my google image search was pretty much fruitless)!

Kimberly said...

Beautiful post, Jill. I love temple open houses and dedications, too. I'm glad you had such a great experience. I'm with Cami - I can't wait to go inside someday!

Karen said...

Love this Jill. It is a beautiful temple and I always love hearing your thoughts.

kjha said...

ditto...

Danielle and Fam said...

I'm with you!! I felt like we were in the right place at the right time...I loved all the talks at the 9am session. Powerful stuff. We took Braden too and he said it was "Awesome"! Thanks for sharing your feelings.

David said...

I really was impressed by the speaker who said that "obedience to the commandments is a gift you give yourself". I enjoyed every speaker, but was very impressed with Elder Johnson. It is a very beautiful temple.

The Garners said...

Oh how I wish we could have attended! As much as the whole idea is really great...it also makes it VERY difficult for people with little kids. I suppose we could have attended different sessions and traded off. But we didn't.

I also knew that if I had to listen to someone else sing the Hosanna Anthem...I would have cried. (And I would have had a hard time singing with the congregation....people would have stared!)

I appreciate your thoughts. It was a good substitute for being there myself.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a beautiful temple, all of them are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing and I am flad that you were insprited. love and miss you

Bryanna Johnson said...

We went to that session too. And I also thought it was beautiful. I especially enjoyed it because we saw some freak outside the Salt Lake temple the day before, dressed in temple clothes with his face painted white. He was way scary,and it was great to feel the peace of the dedication the next day.

Stan said...

Thanks for sharing your feelings. I personally like when people share their personal thoughts and spiritual impressions on their blog. It is so much a part of our life, how can you not. It inspires others. I wasn't able to attend either but had a wonderful experience visiting 7 other temples around the world and attending 2 of them on our trip.