Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easter at the Temple of Sinawava

IMG_2801

Some very happy news: Mike’s sister Laura and her family have moved backed to Utah! All of us who currently reside in Utah are hoping this will be a permanent arrangement; but if not, we know it will be for at least four years while husband, Tim, does his residency at the University of Utah Medical Center.

To celebrate her homecoming Laura requested to spend some time in the Utah desert, where she claims she feels more at home than anywhere else on the planet. A trip was thus arranged and when our family was invited we jumped at the chance. We had planned to take the kids to Zion National Park last year, but then Jonathan decided to impale himself on a tree branch and our plans were thwarted by injury. My kids have been begging to go ever since.

So, we went. It was a fantastic Easter weekend.

My kids are most certainly made up of Dickey DNA. They are incredibly happy and at home in the great outdoors. I married into the family sans this particular DNA, but I had a great time as well. For 17 years my nature has been nurtured by the Dickey family and I have learned to feel at home in the wilderness myself. Of course that feeling is enhanced tremendously when a hotel room with beds, a toilet and a shower is part of the equation. (You can’t beat the Stauffer DNA out of me entirely!)

Zion National Park is a picturesque place. No doubt about it….

IMG_2847
The blond, the red-head, and the brunette, 1-2-3

IMG_2863

IMG_2905

IMG_2961
On our way to the Temple of Sinawava on Easter morning. MK appears to be delighted to be holding her dad’s hand. ;-)

IMG_2969
The doctors’ Handley and girls. I love that I can now call my sister-in-law “Dr. Laura.”

IMG_2997
Little Lucy – she may look innocent enough, but she’s a spitfire, that one!

IMG_3005

IMG_3037

IMG_3099
Kim, Sarah, Darin

IMG_3107
My boys were completely filthy the entire trip. They were not bothered on little bit by this state of being.

IMG_3118

IMG_3142

IMG_3133

IMG_3150
Desert Rose

IMG_3157
The desert ended up in our shoes, but not in my van!

IMG_3169
Spoils of our wilderness-style Easter egg hunt

A great time was had by all…except maybe the park visitors who happened to be on the tour bus the same time as our kids. The kids were kinda loud. Hard to believe, I know.

*Many thanks to everyone who contributed to make this trip possible. Good memories where made by all. (It would have been even better with you, east coasters!)

8 comments:

Brad said...

Looks like a wonderful trip to one of the most spectacular places on earth. Thanks for sharing it.

Kimberly said...

I'm already missing it. Thanks for capturing so many fun moments with your camera!

Marsha said...

What an amazing trip. I always love seeing gaggles of Dickeys out in nature.

The Dickeys said...

I'm so sad we missed this! My homesickness has peaked and I'm needing some good old Utah time! I'm glad you guys had fun!

Lynette said...

This trip definitely had plenty of fun-packed action! We had a great time with everyone and it has been so dull since you all left. :-( I love the picture of someone dumping sand out of shoes from the car. I don't think we'll ever get this red color out of the trailer floor!

Cami said...

Thanks for the recap- I can almost pretend I was there with you all.

Mike said...

It was a great trip. Thanks to everybody who came for coming. Same time, same place next year!!

Laura said...

It was a real good desert trip. We are still trying to get sand out of everything we own.

Jill, I am so proud of you and all the progress you've made with regard to, ummm, spending time with dirt. I know you like things clean and all. ;-) You're quite fun to have around camping!