Thursday, November 1, 2012

Wax Crayon Mustaches

Halloween 2012 043

At the boy’s new school Halloween is handled a bit differently. Participation in festivities is an earned privilege. If you’ve completed your reading and book report for the month of October you earn the privilege to participate. Costumes choices are more focused as well. If you decide to dress up (and meet the qualifications) you must dress up like a character from a list of Classic books, Caldecott and Newbury award winners, or an historical figure.

That really narrows the field, people!

No Jedi’s, no vampires, no skeletons, no jack-o-lanterns no Buzz Lightyears, no super heroes….

I loved it! The kids really got creative and Halloween was more than just fake blood and plastic weapons.

Jeffrey choose to be a character from an all-time favorite book that we’ve read a hundred times. He was Officer Buckle from Officer Buckle and Gloria, the 1995 winner of the Caldecott Medal.

1163772

Halloween 2012 018

We even made the “don’t slip on banana peels” patch for his uniform sleeve. Jeffrey may be a bit more slender a version of Officer Buckle, but I think he looked pretty authentic.

Yes Amy, that is Connor’s stuffed dog playing the part of Gloria. Conner can rest easy. We are taking good care of him!

Jonathan didn’t like his for book characters, and decided to go with someone who was “really real.”

Wild-Bill-5

He thought Wild Bill Hicock sounded like a pretty cool guy (he was a famous gunfighter after all), but he opted out of the long-haired wig. I was okay with that and mostly happy because we had everything we needed for this costume.

Halloween 2012 016

It wasn’t planned this way on purpose, but both the boys were law enforcement and wore a sheriff’s badge and mustache. I was in love. I pretty much hate most things about Halloween, except I really think my kids are cute in their costumes.

Two other people in our housed dressed up too…

Halloween 2012 060
We found her darling hat at Gardner Village's witch festival

………………

Halloween 2012 005

….and somehow, someone talked Mike into branching out from his yearly sports theme. It was certainly a Halloween miracle, but they couldn’t manage to come between him and his afro wig.

The pediatric clinic Mike works for goes all out for Halloween. They did a Peter Pan theme this year. The entire clinic was even decorated. There was Peter Pan and Tinkerbell, the lost boys, pirates, mermaids, Wendy and co. Tiger Lily and Indians…it really was fantastic. Mike’s co-worker Maria out did everyone. I took the boys to the clinic for flu shots (flu shots on Halloween? What kind of mother does that?) and they couldn’t get over her costume. Mostly they couldn’t figure out how she got the pirate to move by itself…

IMAG0104

I hope everyone had a fabulous Halloween!

8 comments:

Amy said...

We have been looking for Brownie!!! I didn't even think that we had left him there. Take care of him he is a special friend. Great costumes, I expected nothing less!

Brad said...

This new school sounds great. Wish I could have seen those boys trick or treating.

Laura said...

I love all the costumes, as usual. You guys are really good at Halloween.

Amy said...

I love the costume guidelines! I am so sick of Batman, Spiderman, etc., and I'm so grateful Aaron didn't want to be any of them! Great, great costumes!

Lynette said...

Wow! I am so impressed. I can't believe you are so good at putting this stuff together! And the looks on the boys faces are classics! Well done. Michael, I hardly recognized you, ...and I am your mother! Cool costume. Mary Kate, I want your hat! Lovely lovely lovely!

Kimberly said...

I love the guidelines at their school! I wish every school would adopt that! The boys look so darn cute, MK, beautiful, and Mike - hysterical!

Cami said...

They all look terrific. I love the mustaches.

Karen said...

Fantastic! I want to frame the picture of Mike and put it up in my parent's house. Awesome!