Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Late Summer Excursion

summer 2012 049

The secrets out...I’m having a love affair with Southern Utah. What a place! If it wasn’t sufficatingly hot during the summer months, I would seriously consider moving down there. In reality, I could not take that kind of heat on a daily basis so I’ll never be a resident, but I sure love a visit.

And visit we did…just last week.

My Mom and Dad’s sweet friend Ellen came all the way from New Zealand to experience Utah. Mom wanted to make sure to show her a good time while she was in town, so planned a trip to St. George to see Aladdin at Tuacahn. As you can see, Mom isn’t in the photo above (unfortunately she isn’t behind the camera either). A few days before we were to leave for our trip, Mom threw out her back and was flat in bed. She wasn’t able to come with us (BOO!), so at the last minute I called my friend Belinda and asked her to tag along. Belinda…never one to miss an opportunity for fun…dropped everything and came.

We all missed Mom, and would have loved to have her with us for all the fun. (Although…it was seriously hot Mom, and you would have hated that!)

Despite the constant sensation of being baked like toasted cheesers in the sweltering sun, we managed to have a great time…

414704_10151046692949227_941756541_o

614398_10151046692399227_343125072_o

Ellen was a most pleasant traveling companion. It was a pleasure getting to know her. She’ll be a friend for life now.

330222_10151046678349227_933150260_o

summer 2012 052

474219_10151046676334227_893125692_o

summer 2012 080

The play was fantastic. They run quite the professional outfit down at Tuachan (there was even 3-D special effects involved). It was totally worth the 4 1/2 hour drive. Ellen, who is a huge fan of musical theater, was very impressed.

The next morning, after a lovely and slightly gluttonous breakfast at Grandma Tobler’s bakery (thanks for the tip on that one Eric), we headed over to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon to show Ellen some scenery unlike anything she’d ever seen before or would ever see again…even in New Zealand.

She was duly impressed.

summer 2012 082

summer 2012 083

272766_10151046696569227_1352226156_o

272599_10151046696344227_1435068696_o

272682_10151046697529227_1805556598_o

328934_10151046697114227_51437965_o

Though short in duration, it was a perfect late-summer excursion, and another chance for me to fan the flame of my love for Southern Utah.

As always, the company made the trip. Thank you Ellen, Belinda and my Mary Kate. We missed you Mom, and hopefully you will come with us next year when we go down again to see Mary Poppins and Camelot. Belinda, you’re coming too, because I hereby vow never to take another long trip in a car unless you come too. You made the time fly with your sparkling conversation!

6 comments:

Marsha said...

I love southern Utah too! It's so beautiful and you sure captured it well.

Kimberly said...

Looks like another wonderful trip! I really need to meet the fabulous Belinda some time. I'm glad she was able to go with you, too!

Laura said...

I can't tell you how pleased I am that you're in love with Southern Utah. I will go with you any day, any time. I love that first group shot of you all.

Chaoyi said...

Love the pictures! Looks like so much fun! Always love the posts with food in them. :)

Anonymous said...

So!! I found your blog through Mama & Papa's mission blog and then I see this post! What a great trip! I keep showing photos to my friends & family when I talk about St George. I hope one day you get to move there! Tuacahn's musicals every year! haha

Belinda said...

Count me in next year. That was such a spontaneously fun trip. I need another one like that right now. It will forever be in my best memory collection. Love you!!! Thanks Janice for allowing me to go. You are the best mom in the world.