
First a little background.....The boys are in a new primary class. They graduated from Sunbeams by the skin of their teeth and have moved on to CTR 5. In their new primary class they recieved CTR rings and learned all about choosing the right. Since then we have also had several FHE lessons on what it means to CTR. During one of these lessons, Jeffrey asked, "What are the letters for Choose the Wrong." "CTW," we replied.
Just the other day, temperatures reached the 50's and the boys spent their first day in a long time, outside. Let's just say that the warm weather wiped the idea of CTR right out of their minds. Here are just a few things they managed to do in the space of an afternoon.....
- Stole cookies from the cupboard that I specifically told them they couldn't eat until after preschool, running outside to eat them so as not to get caught
- Ransacked Mary Kate's room and doll supplies, breaking and losing everything. Mary Kate spent an hour crying while trying to locate and put items back together, many items were outside
- Stole the outgoing bills I had just put in the mail box, tore them open and scattered their contents over the neighbor's lawn
- Flung hundreds of golf tees all over the grass
- Turned on the hose in the backyard and drenched each other
- Ripped big chunks out of the loaves of freshly baked bread I had sitting on the counter, running outside to eat the said chunks so as not to get caught
- Destroyed almost a whole bushel of Mike's apples that were in the garage by taking one or two bites out of each one and then depositing them back in the box
- Got into the neighbor's garage and emptied an entire can of black car polish on their garage floor and then proceeded to tromp through it
- Took the gas can from another neighbor's backyard and tried to fill up their jeep with the gas, spilling it all over the road and their shoes
- Let Winnie out the front door at least eleven times forcing me to go chase her down
- Took boxes of cereal out of the cupboard and spilled them on the driveway after being told hundreds of times that cereal was not to be taken from the kitchen
That evening, after taking all the toys out of their room as punishment, we had a discussion with the boys about all the things they had done wrong that day. I named just a few things on the list and asked them if they were choosing the right when they did those things. Jonathan hung his head dejectedly and said, "Nope, they were all CTW things mom. We just CTW all day."
The temperature is back down in the 30's today and so far we have had mostly CTR from the boys. But, if the other day was any indication of what summer will be like I think I might just prefer winter.
We had some twin boys in our neighborhood growing up. Their mom told us that when they were little, during the warm months, she would tie them to the clothes line with leashes of rope in an attempt to keep them from causing havoc all over the neighborhood..........
I think we'll be installing a clothes line this summer.
20 comments:
That was hysterical! I got tired just reading it. We got window well covers today (ours are literally 6 feet deep) and I was thinking how nice it will be to let Eli go free and play. I'm having some serious second thoughts, because let me tell you...he is ALL about the CTW!
Oh my goodness. Where do they get the energy to do all this. You might want to get a wanted or warning sign for the whole neighborhood... universe! :)
Holy COW, how is that possible in one day?! Good thing they are cute, right? CTW makes me laugh.
this is so funny jill. i love those boys. kisses to them and all their naughtiness.
My favorite part is the shredded bills on the neighbor's lawn. Remember when we were looking at old pictures of Mike as a kid way back when and you said you wanted a mischievous-looking and acting little boy or two of your own? Wish granted, sistah. As a side note, do you think we can buy CTW rings somewhere?
Thank you for all the laughter this post provided. I, like Cami, remember those sentiments and this exact quote from your pre-offspring mouth:
"I hope my kids are naughty. Good kids are so boring. I like the rotten ones the best."
Well, it is apparent that you must watch what comes out of your mouth. The Lord grants things in a most peculiar way. I recognized how calm your attitude was as you wrote this beautiful list. Then I remembered how your thoughts must be drifting off to a place in Europe in the not so distant future. Anything is bearable right? Just make sure that it is all out of their system on April Fool's Day when there at my house.
Does this mean that the Church needs to rewrite the Primary Manual?
I really was weary after reading that list! Is there a soccer team you could enroll them in--or a high school foot ball team?
Jill
that is so funny, I love reading about it with the boys, remmeber last summer when they took the ceral out on the drivway,tried to hide it from us, sounds like they are CTW, will they do that this summer? I love reading about them adn your family, please tell everyone hi for me, love your cousin
Mels
Oh my word Jill. Those boys are extreme and hilarious. I keep thinking of Meredith's nicknames for them for some reason.
I think they're absolutely perfect in every way!
ha ha ha ha! I love boys and especially twin boys. Causing Havoc wherever they go. That sounds like a typical day in my life.It sounds like it took all day, but it's amazing what kids can do in a VERY short amount of time eh???
At least you don't have the problem of hearing "I'm bored". They sound like they have very active imaginations! I know somebody makes a CTL ring (choose the left). I saw one once. It was pretty funny. By the way I think I'll go take nap now the story was just exhausting. You must be super mom.
I'm sorry, but I was laughing through this ENTIRE post. They sound like typical boys. I have twin brothers, and I'm pretty sure they were a terror at that age. Actually, I KNOW they were. Someone had told my mom the first three months were the hardest, but she said they were definitely the easiest because at least they would stay in one place! Good luck this summer! I'm sure it will be an exciting one.
Holy Crap Jill...
Can you please give an acceptance speech for your landslide win as mother of the year? If that had happened at my house, I'm afraid the foster care system would have some new children to care for...pronto!
A clothesline? I think you might need to look into a fun, humane, caging system. You know, like the kind they have at expensive zoos...where there aren't really bars...just vegitation that keeps the animals in their respective areas.
Really...congrats on making it through that ordeal with children intact. I think I would have CTW in the punishment department. Thus the reason why my kids will probably end up in the foster care system anyway!
(It was entertaining...as an outsider...thanks!!)
Oh Jill, YIKES! I love the CTW, that is a crack up!
pretty much can't stop laughing
Jill,
My life sounds so peaceful and boring after reading this entry! Yours will be someday too - hang in there! They are so cute and funny! It reminded me of when Marc and Paul poured maple syrup all over the benches at the kitchen table. CTW!
Jill, these are amazing accomplishments. They are too cute!
Post a Comment