Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Lovely Lights



It's Christmas time and that means that the lights at Temple Square are a blaze. With all the commercialism at Christmas, visiting Temple Square is my favorite way to think a little more about the reason for the season. We went with Mom, Dad and Eric's family. Other than it being a little cold and a big job to keep track of the kids in the crowds, we had a great time. The lights were beautiful as always. I can never decide which color of lights I like best. I mostly favor the plain white, just pure and clear.



Going to Temple Square is something we try to do every season. I do remember in times past (before kids) it seemed to be a slower and more peaceful activity, we could stop and listen to the whole nativity story, music and all, but it's fun with the kids too. They are so amazed by the millions of tiny lights glowing everywhere. They also like the water fountains. The trick is to have them keep their mittens out of the water.


Jeffrey amongst the Shepards


Mary Kate and I under one of the pink trees


By the Pool of Lights



Time to go but we'll be back again next year!

5 comments:

The Garners said...

I'm with you...the clear lights all the way. As much as I like lights, I could do without the "fall" section over by the overflow building. It's orange and red!! It looks like a fall wonderland, not a winter one.

We like to try to listen to the whole nativity too. We got about 1/2 way through, and the kids were too cold. So then we went inside to see the Christus and warm up. Then...they were too warm...and bored. Man! We couldn't win!!

Oh well, still a great and wonderful tradition!!

The Greathouse Family said...

What great pictures and wonderful memories you're making for the kids! By-the-way, how tall is Eric? He looks so tall!

One of the things I loved the most about HS, is singing at the lighting ceremony. Do you remember that?

kjha said...

Our plans keep getting cancelled to go but we'll keep trying. I can't wait to go, it's been a long time! Merry Christmas, K
P.S. My word verifaction word is purse, one of my favorite items to buy!

David said...

Some traditions are just worth more than others.

Cami said...

Could you guys just come up already?!?

We've only been to T.S. once P.K. (pre-kids), and it was super cold but still sparkly and pretty and only a little bit traumatic. I like the water fountains too; I'm particularly fond of the memory of Trevin scooping out a bunch of change and giving it to the homeless people outside the square.