Saturday, December 13, 2008

Holiday Cinema

Over the years Hollywood has managed to make a few great movies to watch during the holidays, here are my favorites.....




It's a Wonderful Life

The tears start squirting during the opening scene where everyone is praying for George and you hear his little daughter's voice saying,
"Dear God, please help Daddy." I love the Capra-esque quality of this movie and the fact that it stars Jimmy Stewart. Because I feel like I'm a person who leads a pretty ordinary life, I also love the message of this movie, that every life makes a difference. A box of Kleenex's is required when viewing this one. And remember, everytime a bell rings and angel gets his wings!



A Christmas Carol

The first addition of Charles Dickens's beloved story sold over six thousand copies the first week it was published and it has remained one of the most popular Christmas stories of all time. It was written at a time when the old Christmas traditions were in decline and some say that we can thank Dickens for saving Christmas as we know it today. There are many film adaptions of this story and I like them all (including A Muppet Christmas Carol), but this one, starring George C. Scott, is my favorite. I think his interpretation of Scrooge is brilliant. What a fabulous story about redemption and getting a second chance. " God bless us, every one!"





A Christmas Story

Red Rider BB guns, tongues stuck to frozen flag poles, mouths washed out with soap, mommy's little piggy, kids stuffed in snow suits, pink bunny PJ's, glowing leg lamps, Little Orphan Annie decoder rings, and Christmas dinner at a Chinese restaurant. This movie is where Americana meets Christmas. "You'll shoot your eye out kid!"





Love Actually

My brother introduced me to the edited version of this movie many Christmases ago. I've never seen the unedited version, but I like the one I've got just fine. There are some great romances in this movie, but my favorite part is when the little kids ask Hugh Grant to sing them some Christmas carols. I always rewind that scene a few times. If you can't say I love you at Christmas time, when can you?


And last, but certainly not least.....



Elf

If you don't like this movie you're a cotton headed ninny muggins! I laughed myself to tears the first time I watched Buddy trying to get on the escalator. How can a movie be bad if Will Ferrell and Bob Newhart are both in it? I confess, sometimes I watch this movie in the off season when I just need a good laugh. Did you know that the word ginormous is now officially in Webster's dictionary?

So these are a few of my favorite Christmas flicks. What are yours? Let me know what movies you watch while you're addressing those Christmas cards and wrapping those last minute gifts. Maybe you can suggest a new favorite to add to my list?

14 comments:

Amy said...

I wanted to see Elf so badly last night, but we don't own it, and I'm #41 on the library waiting list. We called several people in our ward to try to track down a copy, but no one had it. We finally resorted to watching a few clips (including the escalator scene) on YouTube. It didn't quite cut it.

The Greathouse Family said...

Oh my! You have good taste! My all-time favorite is "It's a Wonderful Life". That movie has to have the most beautiful messages in it- and Jimmy Stewart is really handsome!

And "Elf" is a movie that I never thought to give a chance because of Will Farrell (although I like him, I thought it would have crude humor in it), but I saw it last week and now I LOVE it! "Smiling's my favorite!" Too funny!

I also love a "Christmas Carol" in almost every version I've seen and "Christmas Story" is such a classic!

Cami said...

Yes, I actually have to borrow Love Actually from you when we come visit. I've been wanting to see it since it came out.

Good list; also on my list: Nightmare Before Christmas, While You Were Sleeping, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the old one), and my all-time feel good favorite: Joyeux Noel (you have to see this if you haven't already).

Angela said...

We just watched "Miracle on 34th Street" last night. I really liked it. Also we love "White Christmas," "The Santa Claus" for a good cheesy laugh, "Prancer" is a cute one too. Those are just a couple ones on the top of my head right now, I'm sure there are a bunch more that I am just forgetting right now, but some of the ones you mentioned we love too. We love good Christmas movies!

David said...

At first I thought you had dressed Jeffrey up in the pink bunny outfit. Then I remembered it was a movie review. Am I showing my age?!
I have actually watched 3 of those movies in the past two days. I did lots of cleaning. Love your posts!

Karen said...

Zack and I really like "A Charlie Brown Christmas". I love "Love Actually" too. My favorite is the end when the that sweetest ever kid is running through the airport to tell "the one" that he loves her. Also, I love the Colin Firth romance with the Italian girl. "I was hoping you would inhabit with me in England..."

Stan said...

Angela told me she saw Love Actually (edited of course) at your house. I still haven't seen it yet. Can I borrow it? Joshua is really sick tonight. It is coming out both ends. A good movie sounds like a good idea. I love It's a wonderful Life. I remember watching it on Christmas Eve the year Angela was born when we lived in Texas. I love The Christmas Card & the Polar Express. Tom Hanks did an incredible job.

kjha said...

Fa ra ra ra ra! I too have seen the edited of Love Actually and the very last scene at the airport followed by all the 'hello's is my favorite! I always watch While You Were Sleeping at Christmastime, an oldie but goodie. Also, White Christmas, Baby Santa (from the Baby Einstein series:)), How the Grinch Stole Christmas, the cartoon.

Sonja said...

I think you've about got them covered, Jill. I do like to watch Little Women during the holidays.

Emily + Eric said...

You've got the major ones covered! I absolutely cannot let a Christmas season pass without Mr. Krueger & Nora gracing our DVD player. Tissues are a must with both of those.

I love on Love Actually when Hugh Grant is about to profess his love & the little nativity octopus girl loudly proclaims "We're here!" in her adorable British accent. Love it!

Danielle and Fam said...

Hey I got your darling Christmas Card today and was THRILLED to see that you started a blog! I loved reading through your old posts and catching up (so to speak) on your recent happenings including your cute doggie! I'll be honest and say that I can't imagine you with a dog, but after twin boys what's a dog right??? I love that part of love actually, and I need my own edited copy! Good taste on all your movies, but what about White Christmas with Bing Crosby. CLASSIC!
Let's keep in touch and I hope you have FABULOUS HOLIDAYS!

Jill H said...

I only have one to add to your list that is a must for me to watch every year at least once (and with kids sometimes many many times) - Christmas Eve on Sesame Street... Big Bird waiting for Santa, icicles hanging off his beak & frozen giblets, Mr. Hooper and the rest of the old gang. This is a very nostalgic one for me - I used to watch it on TV every year when I was very young and would cry at the end every time because I thought it wouldn't be on until the next Christmas (even though they replayed it many times throughout the holidays). My entire family still likes to watch it.

The Garners said...

Good ones Jill...and of course...as we are learning...we are soul sisters because you love the George C. Scott christmas carol. But don't the two kids give you nightmares?? Not to mention Marley, and his mouth that falls open!! Scary!

Only one question for you....tight as? (If you said "a drum" then you are awesome!!)

Emilie said...

andrew has taken on the burden of watching elf as many times as possible before christmas. i think he is up to #35. sick. inherited from paul and in his honor while he can't.