
This is a phrase we hear constantly around the house these days.
A few weeks ago Jeffrey sat on Jonathan's head in the bathtub. Understandably Jonathan was not happy about it and declared loudly that Jeffrey was not going to be his friend ANYMORE! This threat elicited a horrified and tearful response, "Then who's going to be my friend!" There was at least another half hour of crying and pleading after the bath, as Jeffrey tried to convince Jonathan to reconsider their friendship.
A few weeks ago Jeffrey sat on Jonathan's head in the bathtub. Understandably Jonathan was not happy about it and declared loudly that Jeffrey was not going to be his friend ANYMORE! This threat elicited a horrified and tearful response, "Then who's going to be my friend!" There was at least another half hour of crying and pleading after the bath, as Jeffrey tried to convince Jonathan to reconsider their friendship.
The boys have discovered that this threat is very effective when used on each other, so they've decided it must be equally effective on the rest of us. If Mike, Mary Kate, or I do anything the boys don't relish, such as say no to their plea for a Popsicle, we hear adamantly, "Then I'm not goin' be your friend anymore!" It doesn't seem to have the same effect on us, but they still persist.
Having twin boys has had it's challenges for sure, but if someone were to ask me what I liked about it, I would have to say that it is absolutely heart melting to see how much the boys love each other. They are definitively the best of friends. They HATE being separated. We've tried to spend time with the boys separately to give them that "one on one" we are sure they need, but they can't handle it. They just whine the whole time that we forgot the other one and we must go home immediately and get him. They enjoy each other's company, understand each other, and look out for each other. They're little com padres and I love it. One of my deepest wishes as their mother is that it will always be like that, despite the constant threats we're hearing around the house.

4 comments:
Maybe you can swing this your way. I'm pretty sure the child psychologists would have a hey-day with the new discipline method: "kids, you behave or you're not my children anymore." You could even write a book about it. Lechaim! (it's kind of like when Tevye has to disown Chava)
Oh, that story made me a little sad (Jeffrey begging Jonathan to still be his friend). Jill, you write well and should keep it up.
That is the sweetest!! I remember Meg used to tell me that five times a day when I lived with them...it must be such a threat in their little minds. I think next time they say it...you should break down into uncontrollable sobs and gnash your teeth and stuff. See how they react to that...
Oh, I am truly touched. I just want to know why you didn't get a picture of Jeffrey sitting on Jonathan's head in the bath tub. Great post!
Post a Comment