
Those of you who know me well know that I've ingested my fair share of the over prescribed drug mentioned in this title, and it has been a life saver at times (literally), but I've now replaced my daily dose of Prozac with a little dog named Winnie. Since the day we brought that tiny, quivering, furry pooch home, my serotonin levels have been rising and I feel like they've reached an all time high. She just tickles my happy place in a way that no drug can. (See video)
While I'm talking about my current favorite dog, I feel like giving a shout out to my other favorite dogs who have raised the feel good chemical in my brain over the years.......
First we have Juanita.....

she was a little chihuahua belonging to my Grandma and Grandpa Johnson. The poor dog was completely traumatized by all the gazillions of grand kids chasing her through the house, but if I could catch her, she would eventually settle down for a nap in my lap as I rocked in Grandma's chair. She liked the salty taste of my skin. Before napping she would lick my arms and hands thoroughly.
( I know, it's gross, but I was a kid)

Me and my brother Andrew with two of Juanita's puppies
Next we have Rais.......

the dog my mom shocked us all by bringing home. He was a sweet, docile dog and a calming influence on everyone in our house. If we raised our voices when fighting with each other he would get agitated and circle around us, barking. Since no one wanted to cause our sweet boy any stress, fighting was greatly reduced. Rais heard about all of my teenage woes and never passed judgement.
Then came Maggie.....

Maggie was CRAZY! She had some serious energy. Luckily Mike and I were young and spry and could keep up with her, barely. Border Collies like Maggie are great at herding. I so wish I still had her to keep my boys out of the street, but alas, she is herding the children of another family somewhere in Cache Valley. We miss you Maggie Woo Woo!
And last but not least, Tasha the Wonder Dog.....

Tasha was my biggest fan when I entered the Dickey family as Mike's wife. She and I got along well. Once when Mike and I were taking care of Tasha while the rest of the family was in Yellowstone, she got herself lost. After a sleepless night I finally found her wandering aimlessly through the parking lot of the local Thriftway. Our reunion was something out of a scene from a Lassie movie complete with tears and lots of tail wagging. It's a good thing I found her or Mike and I might not still be considered part of the Dickey family.
So, if any of you are out there feeling like your brain chemistry could use a boost, might I recommend a dog. They can be much cheaper than a therapist, don't have the side effects of drugs and in my opinion can be more effective than both. Still not convinced, just watch the video below. (Meredith, give Sprout a scratch behind the ears for me. I'm so glad you've joined the ranks of dog lovers around the world.)
10 comments:
Woof. Bow wow. Yip yap bark.
Translation: Dogs are good pick-me-uppers, but does Prozac poop all over the pace?
But seriously, I love the odes to the dogs in your life, love the video (especially when Winnie sees you and goes ballistic).
I have just one more image to add: Tasha sitting in the trooper front seat when we were getting ready to go camping with a look in her eye that says "it will take the jaws of life to tear me away from this car, so don't even try."
Jill, I miss Rais and Maggy Woo Woo too. And of course Tasha - thank you so much for finding her because it would have been a shame to lose you both as family members. Also, I think Winnie is madly in love with you. That video is hilarious.
PS - that's a pretty impressive photoshopping job (the picture of Mary Kate holding Juanita). ;-)
j'adore. oh jill. you know how much of a fan i am of doggies. i totally support your theory. 100%.
What a great historical survey of some of your favorite dogs! I've only had little Sprout for about a month, but she really brightens everyone's dispositions around here. Hooray for dogs!
Jill
I'm kind of offended that you didn't bring up Bronte. I mean how can that high strung, binge-eating, small child-biting, twitching, lap dog not be one of the favorite dogs in your life? She did her level best in a tough situation and we've got to give her a lot of credit for that.
You're right Julie. Let's all have a moment of silence for Bronte.
Ahh, me---if we could all have little fur balls to love us and jiggle and wiggle when we come home. The world would be a happier place, I am certain. Great blog!
This canine craziness can get you in deep doo-doo in more ways than one. You must guard your feelings so that your children think you love them more than the household pet. Also, be very careful not to call Mike a "good dog". Even though it is said with great fondness, husbands can be sooo touchy.
Love, Mom
Jill,
I agree with you too 100%, like Emilie, sorry, it is so relaxing to go out and play with Sammy, and don't you agree Sammy is cute too. I like to go out and be with my horses: Tuffy and Kay! I love horses, dogs, fam. etc. Love you all,
love,
Mels
Post a Comment