Sunday, August 26, 2012

Star Spangled

whitney-houston

This week I was helping Jonathan with his homework, completing an “All About Me” booklet filled with questions. One of the questions was about Jonathan’s favorite music….

My favorite music would definitely be_______________________.

Jonathan’s answer: “The Star Spangled Banner.”

“How patriotic” I thought, and instantly started singing at the top of my lungs…a most dramatic, operatic, super hammed-up, version of the our nation’s anthem, only meant for my little boy’s ears. Jonathan watched me with a huge grin on his face and even joined in with me on “and the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air…!” Jeffrey, who had been splashing noisily in the tub, even sat still for a minute to listen to my impromptu concert.

Then I thought of Whitney. The Legend.

I said to Jonathan, “How would you like to hear someone really sing the Star Spangled Banner?” I told him he was in for an absolute treat as I searched for Whitney’s famous version on Youtube.

He sat thoughtfully and listened to the whole song.

When the last powerful note had faded away and the crowd’s applause began, I looked at Jonathan and said, “Well, what do you think of that? Wasn’t that amazing!”

He shook his head…”Nope, didn’t like it all. Mom…you sing it way better than that lady!”

So there you have it folks…apparently I sing the National Anthem better than the legendary Whitney Houston. My little boy has declared it, so it must certainly be true. And as a second witness, Jeffrey agreed with his brother. Smile

*FYI: The boys were just okay with Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkston’s versions. They said they were almost, but not quite as good as mine. So…American Idol…here I come!

6 comments:

Belinda said...

So glad you blogged about this darling story. Someday it will be a treasure and worth repeating over and over. FYI I think your better than Whitney too. Now you have 3 fans!!!

Cami said...

Your boys are very intelligent.

alison said...

Speaking as someone who has sung alongside you a few times, I definitely agree with the boys. Way better than Whitney.

becks said...

I love this! Ha. Your boys are adorable (looks & personalities)!!!

Kimberly said...

It seems to be unanimous, you are right up there with Whitney! Your boys know talent when they hear it!

Laura said...

I love this story. And I totally agree with the boys and everybody else - you the shiz.