I apologize right from the start because this post contains an over abundance of photos; but I just couldn’t narrow it down. I want to remember and share every moment!
My parents arrived home Tuesday night. Their plane was over a 1/2 hour late, so by the time they actually arrived, the anticipation was almost unbearable; spilling out of us like a deep pot of soup boiling over. I think missionary homecomings are some of the sweetest experiences of life. I imagine they are similar to how it will be in heaven when we are finally reunited with loved ones who have gone on before. So much joy!
I felt all kinds of happy emotions Tuesday night, but mostly I felt intense gratitude for the safe return of my dear parents. Heavenly Father has truly blessed us all during these last 18 months.
Tuesday night is a night I will always remember. We had all waited so long for this day.
We watched those escalators with focused intensity. I’ve never seen the kids concentrate so hard! (Obviously Jeffrey was using his waiting time wisely, cleaning out his nose so it would be ship-shape when Grandpa and Grandma arrived.)
My cousin Paul was at the top of the escalators with a video camera, watching and ready to signal to us when he spotted my parents.
Finally they came.
We clamped eyes on them, they on us, and the ruckus began…
The hugs felt so good…
My parents missed the birth of two grandchildren (both born to my sister-in-laws who missed my parents terribly when their babies were born). So there were some much anticipated introductions…
Hello Baby Cate! (Mom’s pointing out to Uncle Paul and Aunt Jill just how much Cate looks like her Dad)
Mom said that Mary Kate has changed the most of all. I thinks she’s right about that. Mary Kate was only 11 when they left and she will be 13 next month. Those are some significant years of growth and change. I’m so happy mom and MK are reunited. They are kindred spirits.
My niece Lydia was the most physically demonstrative about her excitement that night. She could not contain herself. She bounced and squealed, red faced and delighted. Way to represent the feelings of all of us, Lydia girl!
I got my Mama back!
Not sure what’s going on with my expression in this one? Jonathan isn’t either.
I was grateful for Skype for those 18 months. It was good to at least see an image of my parent’s faces while I talked to them; but I much prefer face to face.
My parents were so exhausted from traveling and going on several days with very little sleep, they could barely even pull their suitcases behind them. The boys took care of that right away. I think they may have suspected that there might be present from New Zealand hidden somewhere in those bags, so they should be treated with care.
After the airport we went to my parent’s house to continue celebrating.
During the months my parents were away, it often felt as if they had been gone forever and ever. But, as will all gathered at the house, chatting, laughing, the kids running everywhere, treats from New Zealand being sampled, presents being opened…it felt like they had never been away.
Only with family could it feel that way.
We all survived this mission experience (even thrived in many ways), but now everything can go back to normal.
And that’s how we like.
*You don’t see Mike in any of these pictures, but he was there; just behind the camera for most of it. He got hugs too though.
*We are also grateful that Paul and Caitlyn were willing to come and man the video cameras that night. They got some good footage and when I can pin down my technical assistant (Michael) for a moment, I will post some of it.
12 comments:
Yeah! What an awesome post. I loved seeing all of you reunited. It brought tears to my eyes. What a great night. And such cute babies. Andrew's little girl reminds me of my Emily. It must be the cute hair that sticks straight up and the cheeks.
How lovely, the pics made me cry. So happy you have your parents back!
Hooray! So glad your parents made it safely back home to all of you!
Welcome home!!
How exciting for you! I just loved the reactions of your family!
Hooray! What an awesome day for all of you!
This brings back such happy memories for us of a year ago. What a honor to have such faithful parents serving the Lord in New Zealand. I bet all of you are so happy to be together again. Happy times!
Totally teared up looking at the photos...no matter how old we get, nothing beats hugs and kisses from mom and dad! Welcome home unlce john and aunt Janice!
Oh, thanks for sharing! I loved seeing all the excitement and love in those pictures! We missed them too, but for me at least, the time went so quickly! I can't wait to see them.
Love this! Congrats on having your parents in the same hemisphere again.
Wish we could have been there for this wonderful event. Thanks for sharing the photos. This was great.
Oh, i am in tears. so happy for you and thank your parents for their sacrifice!
WE are so happy for all of you. What a joyous reunion with all those beautiful children. You are a special family and we love you!
Post a Comment