Friday, May 6, 2011

My Mama’s Birthday

If you live in New Zealand, it’s my mama’s birthday today. If you live here in the States, her birthday is tomorrow. So, whether it’s today or tomorrow…. I would like to say…

…Happy Birthday Mom!

To celebrate…a few pictures of her through the years…

mom baby 1
Best baby hair ever!

mom on tricycle 2
Love the saddle shoes. Classic 50’s.

mom and kathy at Christmas
Mom and her only sister, Kathy. Circa 1966-67 (I’m thinking).

mom with friends in photo booth
I love this picture; the expression on her face. I wish I could have known my mom back in her teenage years. I hear she was a popular one.

In the pictures above, I wasn’t even a glimmer in my mom’s eye…

mom at toole school

…but here I detect a small glimmer. I believe this is her official picture as an Elementary school teacher. (Early 70’s) She taught a few years before she had me.
(My mom should always win the best hair award, don’t you think?)

mom at scott's wedding

Here, I’m much more than a glimmer. This is mom, early 80’s. I have very clear memories of her like this. She was always so classy. Still is!

mom and jill matching
(Late 90’s)

What’s up with the matching outfits? I don’t remember the circumstances surrounding our peculiar clothing choices here, and I can’t remember if this was before or after MK was born. (I’m thinking right after). Whenever it was, just know that we don’t normally make a habit of matching our outfits.

Janice at Moeraki Boulders January 2011 (3)

This is my mom just months ago, on a lovely beach, as a missionary in New Zealand. She’s just as beautiful as ever. I love this pictures of her.

My mom has lived a good life and has much more good life to live. Next to Mike, she is my best friend and I feel very blessed to be her daughter and to have shared more than half her life with her.

I love you mom. Thanks for being all that you are. Thanks for 61 years of a good life lived.

Happy Birthday.

9 comments:

Lynette said...

Happy Birthday, Janice! You are a classy lady and I miss you!

Terri said...

Love the pictures! I remember some of them. Aunt Leah's picture on the wall behind Janice and Kathy.

Cami said...

Happy Birthday Janice! Those are GREAT matchy matchy outfits.

Janice said...

Thanks for being the best daughter in the world and thanks for using pictures from my skinny phases--except the first one and the last one. I love you!

Laura said...

Happy birthday, Janice. I love all the photos, and I LOVE the matching outfits. I may have snorted a little when I saw that picture. Janice, you are beautiful in all these photos, but just as beautiful at (insert your age) as you were in college!

Emily + Eric said...

Right along with the best hair award, she definitely wins the best mother-in-law award. Love you, Janice!

Belinda said...

Now I know where Eric's babies get all that great baby hair. Janice most certainly is a beautiful classy woman and a divine mother to my dear friend. Happy Birthday! I hope your loving New Zealand - I'm jealous!

Rosie said...

It is a week later and I am still celebrating! Janice, you are such a great sister-in-law. You have always been so welcoming to me and put up with our herd sleeping at your house on numerous occasions! Thank you for your example, love and support through good and hard times in my life! Love you!

rachel said...

Hey Jill! I'm glad we got to talk while on the phone recently and I wish it could have worked for us to stop by!

I especially love the photo of her and Aunt Kathy and the one with the two of you in matching outfits. Too cute!