I’m not big on New Year’s resolutions. I believe goal setting is a valuable exercise, but I find that when I make New Year’s resolutions, I’m not three weeks into the new year before I’m feeling bad about myself and doubting my ability to accomplish things. I’ve decided feeling discouraged is no way to start a fresh new year, so I’m refusing to make any New Year’s resolutions (how’s that for a cop-out).
I do much better anyway when I set goals as the need arises, when self improvement is motivated by something more than just a change on my calendar.
I’m not setting any resolutions for 2011 (right now anyway), but I have been reflecting back on 2010 a bit. When I think back I feel an overall sense of contentment. 2010 was busy, fulfilling, challenging, full of good moments and bad; much like every other year that passes by. I don’t know how much I accomplished, but I did learn a thing or two, and that, in and of itself, is an accomplishment…
A few valuable things I learned in 2010 (in no particular order)…
-If you drive over the speed limit you will get a ticket and tickets are expensive! It’s especially expensive if you get three in one year…on the same road. In 2010 I learned to slow down when I drive, and to completely avoid driving on 1300 west.
-The Old Testament is an amazing book of scripture that should not be overlooked. After 2010 I’ll never look at that book in same way again. My eyes have been opened.
-It’s very challenging to work outside the home and do a thorough job as wife and mother. You can do it, but there is a price to be paid: no relaxation time! In 2010 I’ve earned a new and improved respect for mothers who have to work, especially single mothers. They are now my new heroes!
-I‘ve learned that I am not one of those moms who feels lonely and empty when their youngest child finally starts school. I like peace and quiet more than I ever thought I would! If I get a bit of peace and quiet each day, I’m a much better mother.
-Watching excessive TV is a colossal waste of time. I still like some TV but life is much better when viewing is limited.
-I have more of my father in me than I thought. I’m learning to love photography. I can’t wait to learn more about it and create some beautiful images of my own.
-Skype, email, and phone calls are nice, but I prefer talking to my parents face to face. In 2010 I’ve learned that I’ve taken my parent’s presence in my daily life mostly for granted. I miss you mom and dad!
-A year free of excessive anxiety and depression is a rare gift to be savored (at least for me). It’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed a year like that and it was truly lovely.
-A good hair cut and color is worth the money. It last much longer and makes your hair much easier to deal with, especially if you’re going gray, like me.
This is by no means a comprehensive list. I’ve learned many new things this year and had other things I know and believe reinforced to my heart and soul, like how much I love God, my family, my friends, and my home, and how those things are really what are most important.
When I look back on 2010 I mostly feel blessed. It was a good year.
I got a kick out of this ...this was my brother Jeff’s Facebook status on January 1…his epitaph for the tombstone of the year 2010…
R.I.P 2010
(2010-2010)
9 comments:
I learned some of those same things - particularly about TV and working outside of the home. These days, I get one morning a week of "me" time when Tim takes the baby to run errands. It does help if you're willing to compromise on things like the floors being vacuumed / mopped every day... but I'm guessing you're not. ;-)
Also, I laughed too when I read Jeff's FB status.
Love it. Great way to cap the year (may it rest in peace).
Jill -I love this post. A glimpse into your life and the way you appreciate and process things. So lovely to read this. Love you. Em
I'm thankful for the things I learned last year, too. May 2011 be full of learning experiences, too! Happy New Year, Jill!
I agree with you on the making resolutions thing. Goals are great, but can also get in the way of appreciating what already is. This was a lovely post Jill.
Lovely ~ I appreciate your thoughts
It seems to me that you make mounds of progress every year. I'm so proud of you. I think New Year's goals would be wasted--I don't think you can get much better.
I have one immensely important goal you must work on during 2011.
Come visit me in Denver!
Great post.
But please come after April.
I will be much nicer...and a lot more mobile.
Post a Comment