Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Finally!

snow and favorite treats 034

It hasn’t snowed substantially around here since the first week in December. Mike’s attitude about this has been very sour. He subscribes to the philosophy that if it’s going to be freezing cold we might as well enjoy some snow. We live in a peculiar area. Because of where we are situated amidst the mountains and such, the storms usually pass right over, dumping on the surrounding areas, not on us. (Let is be said that some of us think this is a good thing.)

So here it is, the tail end of January, and it has finally snowed enough in our little corner of the world to allow the kids to actually enjoy it. Mike still isn’t satisfied. As you can see from the grass peeking through in the picture above, it’s not really all that deep. He and the boys still managed to make an actual snowman though. Something we’ve been waiting all winter to do.

snow and favorite treats 027

Here he is, the long anticipated man of snow. The only thing lacking was a carrot for the nose. Don’t worry, Mom came to the rescue……..

snow and favorite treats 039

….awe….much better!

The recent snow fall has also inspired other children in the neighborhood. My neighbor Whitney presented me with this amazing paper snow flake this morning….

snow and favorite treats 044

…… Of course I made a proper fuss about it, gushing about how sweet she was to think of me. I was really trying to make her feel good, even taking a picture of her holding her art. Then, on her way out the door, she looked at me and said, “Jill, I really made that snow flake for the crossing guard lady, but I decided I didn’t want to carry it all the way to school, that’s why I gave it to you!”

Oh.

Thanks anyway Whit.

7 comments:

Cami said...

Ha ha ha! Confession is good for Whitney's soul.

I like the snowman. I've convinced my kids that snowmen are, on average, only around 10 inches tall. It appeases everybody's attention spans.

The Garners said...

Arent winter pictures the absolute greatest? They are always flooded with colors and coolness. I wish I liked the out of doors. Maybe I'd take a few more.

And what congrats on inheriting the snowflake. It's awesome

Karen said...

That Whit. She's a gem. It really is a lovely snowflake, even if it was meant for the crossing guard.

Also, I think that philosophy was ingrained in all the Dickey brains because that is exactly how I feel about the whole winter situation Mike.

Andrew said...

yeah for Mike. Andrew on the other hand would rather there be no snow at all, not even one flake!

That's one impressive snowman. Every time Maryland gets even one inch of snow, the school closed down for the day, it's purely bizarre!

David said...

That is one good-looking snowman. Does he have a name? Be happy you got snow. We're still waiting. Perhaps Whitney could make us a snowflake. I could act like a crossing guard!

Kimberly said...

Happy snow day! Your snowman is awesome, and I love Whitney's snowflake. I want to make one of those!

Laura said...

Ha ha ha. I like the snowflake story. I wish I could be there to play in the snow with your kids! As much as I love winter, I do miss Provo where it's practically spring come mid February.